PHP/Mapscript testers needed for 4.6beta

Bill Binko bill at BINKO.NET
Mon Jun 6 02:27:41 EDT 2005

Hi everyone,

Daniel Morrisette and I have tracked down and killed an old bug (#1354) in
PHP/Mapscript that caused two big problems:

1) It required the PHP source to be available if your PHP didn't use
the system regex libraries
2) It was very easy to build against the wrong regex, and get segfaults at
random places.

At this point, we believe this is completely fixed: you can build with
only PHP's #include files (no source) and both the CGI/command-line
utilities and PHP module always use the right regex (even when they're
different).

We've tested this in several environments, but would like a broader set of
eyes to make sure it's working correctly before 4.6 gets released.

So, if you're currently running PHP/Mapscript and can test the 4.6beta3
release, we'd really appreciate your feedback.

Also, if you've been avoiding PHP/Mapscript due to build complexity or
stability issues, this is a good time for you to try again: building
PHP/Mapscript should be a simple as adding --with-php=/usr to your
configure line (if your PHP includes are in /usr/include/php).

If you could direct your feedback to me or to the bug (#1354), that would
be great.

Thanks
Bill