Mapserver and the fly conversion of 24bit RGB raster images to 8bit colormapped format

sylvain.perrinel sylvain.perrinel at AGRICULTURE.GOUV.FR
Mon Jun 13 11:02:36 EDT 2005

Hello,
I'm trying to make a map with an ecw layer. But, Mapserver does not want
to convert my 24bit RGB ecw image to 8bit like documentation says :
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/doc35/raster-howto.html#rgb_color_cube .

Gdal support ecw format and the commande "gdalinfo" on the ecw layer
stops on the color table and doesn't say anything. I think it tries to
recover the table color !

I verify that my ecw file has three bands, with no classification
information provided in the mapfile and the first band in the file does
not have a colormap.

I can't preprocess the rasters because I have 8Tb of images. It would be
too long...

So is this a bug or a misconfiguration of my mapserver?

Thanks

Notes :
MapServer version 4.4.2 OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP OUTPUT=PDF
SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=FREETYPE SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT
SUPPORTS=WFS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WFS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=WCS_SERVER INPUT=EPPL7
INPUT=POSTGIS INPUT=OGR INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE

Mandrake 10.1
Mapserver 4.4.2
GDAL 1.2.6

--
Sylvain Perrinel
Ministère de l'Agriculture et de la Pêche