Labels

Peter Kingsbury peterkingsbury at ISTOP.COM
Fri Jun 17 08:39:12 EDT 2005

Hello list,

I'm new to the mapserver world, and have had moderately good success
with getting a mapfile up and running for some test data I have.

However, labels confound me! I've been poring over online manuals and
trying different options for a couple days, but I figured I would ask here.

I am not really sure what minimal options are required in order to, for
example, display a point's label from any scale or zoom level.

For example, if I have the following layer in my mapfile:

LAYER
    GROUP    "cities"
    NAME    "Cities"
    TYPE    POINT
    DATA    cities
    STATUS    ON
    CLASS
        NAME    "Cities"
        SYMBOL    images/capital.png
    END
END

...and wanted to have labels viewable from any distance, what would the
bare minimum options be that I would have to include in the layer?
ArcExplorer tells me the data is stored in a variable called "Name"...
do I need to use LABELITEM with the variable name?

I should also note, I am using Chameleon to display the map layers.

Any help is appreciated!
- Peter