tomcat cgi problem

David Hunter david.hunter at FNF.COM
Tue Jun 21 16:26:48 EDT 2005

I am a newbie trying to set up MapServer as a CGI program under Tomcat 5.0
and Win2000.  I copied the contents of the Mapserver bin directory to
Tomcat 5.0/webapps/ROOT/WEB_INF/cgi/ and did all the other steps to enable
CGI in Tomcat.  When I do http://localhost:8080/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?
nothing appears in the browser, and i get this error in the log file:

runCGI (stderr):Unrecognized character \x90 at C:\Tomcat 5.0
\webapps\ROOT\WEB-INF\cgi\mapserv.exe line 1.

I searched the archives here, and somebody mentioned testing mapserv.exe at
the command line with the -v switch.  That returns this:

MapServer version 4.4.2 OUTPUT=GIF OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=PDF
OUTPUT=SWF
SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=FREETYPE SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT
SUPPORTS
=WFS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WFS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=WCS_SERVER INPUT=POSTGIS
INPUT=ORACLESP
ATIAL INPUT=OGR INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE