Wishing we had COLORRAMPs or something

Tue Jun 28 21:05:32 EDT 2005

Hi all,

I am trying to do thematic maps and I'm getting vary close to have a
cool application working that using PostGIS and Mapserver. I have been
able to build the whole thing so far without using mapscript, but there
is no easy way to work around the need for having a COLORRAMP that would
let me assign the color to a class like CLASSITEM but without having all
the CLASSes defined.

Why is this needed? you ask, just make a bunch of classes.

For a thematic map, you can select the number of breaks you want to
display, between 2 and 10 say. I already have code to compute the class
breaks and to assign them a number between 0 and numclasses, now I need
to a color in the ramp based on numclasses. If your ramp is RED from 0
to 255, and you have a 2 class ramp the 2 will be 255, but if you
display the same thin with a 10 class ramp 10 will be 255 and 2 will be
like 25.5

In any case, I will work around it for now, but I think this is an area
the would be nice to add something.

-Steve W.