Google Maps API

Norman Barker nbarker at RSINC.COM
Thu Jun 30 11:16:16 EDT 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at lists.umn.edu]On
Behalf Of Rick Levine
Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2005 4:00 PM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at lists.umn.edu
Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Google Maps API

I work at a defense contractor and the command and control folks are
drooling over Google Earth.  Like you say, it is mind blowing.  We
immediately subscribed (actually, when it was still Keyhole, which just got
bought by Google and re-branded.)

I don't know if the demo allows editing of 3D objects on the map, but the
subscription version does.  The API allows addition of your own icons also.
You could easily plot police and fire vehicles in real time on the streets
of New York complete with buildings.  Astounding user interface and API.

Rick

             Camden Daily
             <cdaily at GMAIL.COM
             Sent by: UMN              MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
             MapServer Users                                            cc
             List
             <MAPSERVER-USERS@                                     Subject
             LISTS.UMN.EDU>            [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Google Maps
                                       API

             06/30/2005 09:39
             AM

             Please respond to
               Camden Daily
             <cdaily at GMAIL.COM

http://www.google.com/apis/maps/

I hadn't seen this yet, so I guess it's still new.  A full-fledged API
for Google maps.  Up to 50,000 page views a day.  From what I can see,
it looks pretty well developed.  If you don't want/need the full power
of your own GIS app, and just want to plot some stuff on a map, it
looks pretty sweet.

Also, did anyone else manage to download the Google Earth beta
software?  I can't remember the last time I was so completely blown
away by a piece of software.  Zooming in from outer space onto my
house is damn cool, and then turning on the 3D buildings model and
checking out downtown Chicago is awesome.

-Camden Daily

Hopefully we are not too off topic, since the way google are pushing things is surely going
to impact on OGC technologies.

The google earth is really good, but the streaming in Keyhole is proprietary right?  The streaming
isn't JPEG2000, or ECW streaming, so we can connect with our clients.  Is there a way to connect
into the google servers?  Whilst streaming isn't part of any OGC specs, it would be nice to know
how they present their catalogues.

Having used the google map hacks and then see an API published means I can take this app out
of the cupboard now :-)

Personally I am encourage Google, I had a lot of fun with google maps for a 'non gis' educational client,
who liked the ajax effect!

Norman Barker