UnsatisfiedLinkError while doing "make test" on OS X

Rick Innis rick at INNIS.CA
Wed Mar 2 15:25:01 EST 2005

Wondering is anyone else is running into this. I'm trying to build the
Java mapscript classes on OS X (10.3.8), and get an
UnsatisfiedLinkError when I run "make test"

java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError:
/Library/Java/Extensions/libmapscript.jnilib:
         at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.java:1586)
         at DumpShp.main(DumpShp.java:32)
make: *** [test] Error 255

libmapscript.jnilib is the OS X name for libmapscript.so; it's created
using gcc -dynamiclib instead of gcc -shared.

I know that the JVM is finding the library, otherwise I'd get a
different message, but it's failing to load it. Has anyone run into and
resolved this problem on OS X previously, or have any hints on how to
resolve it?

One possible cause may lie in libmap. I'm currently linking against
libmap.a, and in trying to build libmap.so (to see if that resolves the
issue above) I'm getting an error from ld:

common symbols not allowed with MH_DYLIB output format with the
-multi_module option
mapparser.o definition of common _msyychar (size 4)
mapparser.o definition of common _msyylval (size 48)
mapparser.o definition of common _msyynerrs (size 4)
mapparser.o definition of common _msyyresult (size 4)
maplexer.o definition of common _msyyleng (size 4)
maplexer.o definition of common _msyynumber (size 8)
maplexer.o definition of common _msyytext (size 4)
maptime.o definition of common _ms_num_limited_pattern (size 4)

I'm vague on what this means, though from the list of symbols it gives
I'm hazarding a guess that it's related to yacc and lex output, since
most of the symbols it's complaining about are in mapparser.o and
maplexer.o.

Any insights anyone can provide will be gratefully received. Thanks,

        --Rick.