All Tiger data for download?

Steve Wormley steve at WORMLEY.COM
Thu Mar 3 16:03:45 EST 2005

I'm sure the census didn't like it, but I just the other day did a wget of
the whole set and then used ogr2ogr to convert them all to various
shapefiles as I needed them.

For instance, to create the major roads (CFCC of A1*) after unzipping all
the .zip files I ran the following command:

find tiger/www2.census.gov/ -type d -iname 'tgr?????' | xargs -n1
~/mktiger.sh

and the mktiger.sh script:

#! /bin/bash
out=`echo $1 | awk -F/ '{print $6}'`
outb=`echo $1 | awk -F/ '{print $7}'`
ogr2ogr -f "ESRI Shapefile" -where "CFCC like 'A1%'" -nln $outb
maps/us/majorroads/$out $1 CompleteChain

(Sorry about the wrapping. And for right now I can't make the data files
available to the public.)

The major roads after conversion were about 128MB.
The minor roads (everything except A1*) were around 11GB.
The compressed tiger files appear to be about 4.5GB.
The uncompressed version of the tiger files are about 42GB.

-Steve Wormley