php-mapscript/postgis with MDA

Shashi Gireddy gireddy at GMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 4 17:34:43 EST 2005

Hi all,

I am doing a graduate level course in advanced software engineering
where we deal with Model Driven Architecture, Aspect Oriencted
Programming etc. Here my area of interest is MDA. MDA is useful to
generate a programming code from a UML model. That means an MDA tool
can generate code from model/model from code and synchronize each
other ( IBM Rational XDE, Arc Styler etc). Basically MDA contains
Plotform Independent Model (PIM) and Plotform Specific Model (PSM),
Once we have the PIM we will take a copy of it and this can be useful
to generate a PSM for any plotform( that means this is the model that
to be  documented) and then genrate PSM which inturn generated the
final code... please see http://www.omg.org/mda/
Here what i see is i didn't see any work on this area esp. Spatial
databases and PHP. Here my idea is that if we could be able to
generate .map file from a model(i donno if it is possible but our map
file syntax is just like XML synatax, so it must work) with this we
must be able to connect to postgis and generate automatic code
template for php, like if we specify LEGEND in our model it must
generate map metadata and code to display it in php (create final html
with a table and two colimns in it and display the map on the left
side and display the LEGEND on the right corner. I know it is
extremely to deal with this. But there are many many opensource MDA
tools, we can use them and add a plug-in (???) or enhance the tool.
can anybody has any idea about any tool(if already exists)
comments&questions.

Thank you,
shashi.

--