finding shortest path between two points

Mike Juvrud mjuvrud at AKEVA.COM
Sat Mar 5 02:44:11 EST 2005

Deijkstra is fine for a relatively limited number of arcs. However, once
you start solving a graph with more than a couple thousand arcs you can
hit a serious wall and solutions can take minutes...especially if you
are attempting to span the breadth of the graph.

You may want to look into the A* (A star) algorithm for more efficient
solutions on large graphs.

I wrote an implementation of the deijkstra algorithm in Perl for use in
MapServer. Unfortunately I can't provide the code as it may become part
of a larger project, but I can help answer questions.

Here are some links I found useful for the A star algorithm:
http://theory.stanford.edu/~amitp/GameProgramming/
http://www.avglab.com/andrew/soft.html
http://jung.sourceforge.net/
http://www.policyalmanac.org/games/aStarTutorial.htm
http://www.codeproject.com/csharp/graphs_astar.asp?df=100&forumid=15953&
exp=0&select=537200
http://palantir.swarthmore.edu/maxwell/classes/e28/S00/reports/groom-joh
nson-nelson-olshfski-lab2/

It's been a good 6-months since I worked on these algorithms, but I'll
try to answer your questions about either.

Mike Juvrud
GIS Programmer
Glenwood, MN USA
320.634.4410