Python Mapscript QueryByPoint

Eric Bridger eric at GOMOOS.ORG
Wed Mar 9 11:23:55 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-09 at 09:56, Sean Gillies wrote:
> Jon,
>
> Check the querying howto under mapscript/doc.  I am hosting an HTML
> version of the same doc at
>

> http://users.frii.com/sgillies/projects/mapscript/querying-HOWTO.html
>
> cheers,
> Sean

Sean's guide was a big help to me, though a little sparse on some of the
finer details, in particular on how to get the field names as well as
the values.
So here's some Perl code: (only tested with shape files and PostGIS
layers)

$layer->open();
my $shape = $layer->getFeature($qid, $tid);
if($shape)
{
   for(my $i = 0; $i < $shape->{numvalues}; $i++)
   {
       my $val = $shape->getValue($i);
       my $name = $layer->getItem($i);
       print "$name = $val\n";
   }
}
$data_layer->close();

HTH
Eric

P.S. the tile index is used in the getFeature call, but if you are not
using tiled shape files it is probably not needed. I'm not sure.