Vector data smoothing and palettes

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Sat Mar 12 13:04:45 EST 2005

Dan -

Is this an issue of the resolution of the source dataset?  Remember that
GTOPO30 is roughly 1 kilometer per pixel, so a map produced at any
larger scale than that will zoom in on the source image and produce
multiple output pixels per input pixel.

     - Ed

Ed McNierney
TopoZone.com

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of Dan Taylor
Sent: Saturday, March 12, 2005 11:30 AM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Vector data smoothing and palettes

Hi,

I'm pretty new to mapserver, but I think I'm making reasonable
progress.  Have managed to get my head around the vmap0 and gtopo30
datasets to generate some good results.  However, I am having problems
displaying raster data nicely when zoomed in.

Basically, the problem is with jagged edges.  I've created about 20
classes in my map file with a range of different colours to display
the gtopo30 data, but I still get very jagged edges - especially in
mountainous areas like the Himalayas or the Rockies.

Is there a more elegant way to display raster data than using a huge
set of classes?

Can anyone suggest good classes/colours/palette to use with gtop030?

Is there some way of smoothing the height data to avoid jagged edges?

Cheers,

Dan

--
Dan Taylor

Software Development Engineer, JTL Systems Ltd
PhD Student, Reading University, UK

http://www.logicalgenetics.com