Commercial/Large datasets MapServer/PostGIS sample sites

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at CCGIS.DE
Thu Mar 17 14:23:03 EST 2005

Ed McNierney wrote:
> Eduardo -
>
> Yes, is 25 terabytes of data - about 340,000 raster images and 54,000+
> shapefiles, making over half a million maps a day for Web users, custom
> data downloads, desktop WMS clients, and server-based WMS clients big
> enough?  We're not a PostGIS user, however.
>
>         - Ed
>
> Ed McNierney
> President and Chief Mapmaker
> TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.
> 73 Princeton Street, Suite 305
> North Chelmsford, MA  01863
> ed at topozone.com
> (978) 251-4242

That is always a really imressing place to convince people!

We implemented several architectures with PostgreSQL/PostGIS, UMN
MapServer, Mapbender for public administraions in Germany. One larger
database containes 6.5 million vector objects (land lot polygons),
another 29 million. The latter runs on a 4-CPU Xeon, 32GB RAM (i
believe). Map requests need around 40 up to 350 milliseconds in PG. We
know of four ministries using PostGIS in productive environments, two
police departmens, several technical divisions and five traffic control
centers. The Deutsche Telekom sub T-Systems uses it to monitor
availablility for all radio transmitters operated in Germany relaying
traffic information. If you need references and links contact me offline.

We use PostGIS in those installations since v 0.7 and it served us so
well that our only change request to refractions/Paul so far was to bump
up version number to 1.0 so that consumers can sleep better.

Top of the notch software in my opinion.

This is an old link to an old installation PG 7.3/PostGIS 0.8) on an old
server (2.4 Ghz single CPU ide):
http://online-service.nuernberg.de/stadtplandienst/
Click on the lowest button on the right side. Eduardo, just out of
curiosity: how long does it take to load and show maps from this server
in a client in Brazil?

Best, Arnulf.

--
Arnulf B. Christl