tileindexed layer crashing...

Mark Dieterich mdieterich at GMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 18 21:25:18 EST 2005

Jeff/Ed,

I wonder if I could leverage some of your knowledge on a problem I'm
having.  I'm trying to accomplish something similar to what Jeff is
doing, but have't made it quite as far.  I downloaded a bunch of tiger
files, and ran:

* find . -name "*.lka" > roads.txt
* tile4ms roads.txt roads

which generated the roads.qix, roads.shp, roads.shx.  Looking at the
roads.shp with ogrinfo produces what I think are reasonable results.  I
can load the individual shapfiles which were included in the index just
fine with mapserver.  However, when I go to load the tileindex into
mapserver, it returns:

msDrawMap(): Image handling error. Failed to draw layer named 'roads'.
msTiledSHPOpenFile(): SDE error. Tileindex layer must be a shapefile.

I'm certain there is something wrong with my mapfile, but I just can't
put my finger on it.  At the moment I have:

MAP
   IMAGETYPE    PNG
   EXTENT       -71.352597 41.638137 -71.226191 41.774801
   SIZE         1024 768
   SHAPEPATH    /var/www/data/maps/
   IMAGECOLOR   255 255 255

   LAYER
     NAME       roads
     TILEINDEX  roads
     STATUS     DEFAULT
     TYPE       LINE

     CLASS
       COLOR    150 150 150
     END
   END
END

Any help debugging this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Mark