Twin Cities MapServer User Group meeting Thursday

Dale Trexel trex0003 at UMN.EDU
Sun Mar 20 15:42:05 EST 2005

Hello folks,

This month's Twin Cities MapServer User Group meeting topic is CGI
MapServer installation on Linux. We will have a live demonstration
using Fedora 3, with plenty of opportunities for people to ask
questions of local experts. Since compiling MapServer seems to be a
common source of frustration for members of this list, I thought I'd
advertise our meeting here as well as on the TCMUG mailing list.

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN COMING AND/OR HAVE QUESTIONS, PLEASE CONTACT
ME DIRECTLY AT trex0003 at umn.edu FOR INFORMATION. I have a hard time
keeping up with the volume of postings to this mailing list, so
contacting me directly is best.

DETAILS:

When:  Thursday, March 24th, from 5:00 PM to approximately 7:00 PM
Where: 203 Green Hall, St. Paul campus of the U. of Minnesota
Map:   http://onestop.umn.edu/Maps/GrnH/index.html
       (right under the water tower)

Parking: The closest lot is pay-per-hour (see map). There is free
on-street parking west of Cleveland Ave., but it is posted at one hour
max. Stay longer at your own risk.

Agenda: This month will be a demonstration of installing CGI MapServer
with basic functionality on a server running Fedora 3 Linux. I will
provide a basic box, and local experts will walk us through the
installation process. We'll have a video projector, so everyone can
see what's going on onscreen.

Some folks have expressed interest in a Microsoft version of this
demonstration. This is a great idea, but too much to add to the
current agenda. At this week's meeting we can discuss the option of
doing a Microsoft installation some other time.

There is a class until 4:55 in 203 Green Hall Thursday night, so don't
come too early. We have the room reserved until 8:00 PM, so we can
stay later if needed. Many thanks to Perry for making the room
reservations!