shapefile class declaration

Jeff Portwine jdport at VERITIME.COM
Tue Mar 22 13:53:04 EST 2005

Can anybody tell me what the different "types" of shapefiles would represent?   The documentation lists them but doesn't describe them.

I'd guess that the MS_SHP_POLYGON would be a set of points that defines a closed shape while the MS_SHP_MULTIPOINT would be points defining lines (such as roads or rivers or whatever)....
Would MS_SHP_ARC then be an ESRI type shapefile?    And what would MS_SHP_POINT be?  That sounds like a single point but why would you create a shapefile for a single point?

Thanks!