class expressions in PHP/Mapscript

Mon Mar 28 15:26:17 EST 2005

Jeff,

Since I suggested looking at this I take a stab at a response. I think
you have done about the best you can given the data in its current
state. If I were trying to work with that data, and I haven't looked at
it yet, but based on your description, I would be inclined to re-write
the dbf file as something that would be more useful along the lines of

New DBF fields:
NAME - suitable for labeling
RTE_NUM - number of route extract from the name
RTE_TYPE - I -interstate, S - state, U - US Highway, C - county highway
RTE_CLASS - maybe for classification of the road for style, but I think
I would just use RTE_TYPE for that.

Then I can use CLASSITEM "RTE_TYPE", LABELITEM "NAME", and RTE_* for
highway shields.

You would have to write a script to do this using Perl or PHP and
regular expressions, you would want to split multiple names on the ","
and then based on some higharchy populate the new fields.

Or looks for some other data, like NHPN from the BTS.gov or whatever.

I also find it useful to dump the various fields of a dbf and get a
unique list of the options I am dealing with to better figure out how to
deal with it.

Some days nothing is simple,
-Steve