Projection Issues

Bill Binko bill at BINKO.NET
Tue Mar 29 14:48:40 EST 2005

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005, Ed McNierney wrote:

> Bill -
>
> Those all look reasonable - good job!  Those SRID codes are EPSG
> projection codes, and you can use them directly as:
>
> PROJECTION
>       "init=epsg:26759"
> END
>
> which will save you a lot of typing and some typos!  It also makes it
> obvious to the reader what projection it is (or at least easy for the
> reader to look up).
>
> Could you post your entire MAP file?  Since your output is in the state
> plane projection, your EXTENT needs to be specified in that projection
> and units.  I would recommend that you start with a map file with the
> county PROJECTION block at the MAP level and one layer with the county
> data, also with the same PROJECTION block.  Get that working correctly,
> the add the second layer with the UTM PROJECTION block.

Ed,
I took your advice and and replaced the projections with the espg codes.
I also simplified the map file to just have two layers: both shapefile,
not PostGIS.  However, I am still having the same problem: I only see the
county data when I put both in the file.

I've included the reduced map file below, and I've sent a copy of the data
to Paul to see if he can help.  Is there a standard way to distribute
layer files for review on this board?  Or should I post a URL or the like?

Thanks for your time,
Bill

MAP
    NAME SINKHOLE
    STATUS ON
    SIZE 800 500
    IMAGETYPE PNG
    IMAGECOLOR 240 240  255
    SHAPEPATH "/var/www/binko.net/maps/data/"
    UNITS METERS
        EXTENT 57968.750000 1189453.125000 464218.750000 1443359.375000
        PROJECTION
                "init=epsg:26759"
        END
    WEB
        TEMPLATE "/var/www/binko.net/maps/template1.html"
        IMAGEPATH "/var/www/binko.net/maps/tmp/"
        IMAGEURL "/maps/tmp/"
                LOG "/var/www/binko.net/maps/error.log"
    END
        SCALEBAR