Tooltips on icons

Lowell Filak lfilak at MEDINACO.ORG
Tue Mar 29 15:28:49 EST 2005

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 11:43:36 +0200, Aaron Craig <mercutio at POBOX.COM> wrote:

>Is it possible to get a tooltip to pop up with some text taken from a
>field in my Postgis database when the user puts her mouse over an icon
>in a layer?
>
>I'm imagining you probably need to do something with JavaScript or
>similar, but I wondered if there's already some sort of functionality
>that helps, as it seems a fairly common functionality.
>
>Thanks for any help that comes my way.

Aaron,

If I understand correctly what you would like to see from the postgis db is
the tabular data in a mouseover.?
We currently have a perl routine you can incorporate in a 'use' statement in
a perlmapscript app. It is fed arrays for the min/max x & y's for each point
that is to become a mouseover point and queries a db using the perl dbi to
extract the tabular data and create the imagemap area's and the div's for
the show/hide javascript.
If it would help, I can send it to you off-list (just to keep the attachment
from going to everybody).
A sample of the results are here:
http://www.highwayengineer.co.medina.oh.us/cgi-bin/plt_tcounts.cgi?ppn=02501B07023&minx=2157252.6&miny=580951.199388203&maxx=2169515.10254601&maxy=586628.795466776
http://www.highwayengineer.co.medina.oh.us/cgi-bin/plt_sewer.cgi?ppn=02501B07023&minx=2157252.6&miny=580951.199388203&maxx=2169515.10254601&maxy=586628.795466776