Display GeoTIFF-data (>8bit) with the Mapserver

Till Adams adams at TERRESTRIS.DE
Wed Mar 30 07:46:59 EST 2005

Wolfgang Qual wrote:

> We purchased IKONOS-Satellite images (data format GeoTIFF, 16bit) and
> would like to get it into a mapserver map. However, this data is not
> supported by the mapserver. We got the error message:
> "drawTIFF(): Image handling error. Only 1, 4, and 8-bit images are
> supported."
> Tried to make a 8bit GeoTIFF of it using the gdal-utility rgb2pct.py,
> but it just produced strange results (strange colors).
>
> Anybody there, who managed it to put such data into a mapserver map? How
> can I produce a nice 8-bit image of the data without losing the
> information of the satellite image?
>
> Thanks.
>

> Wolfgang Qual

Dear Mr. Qual,

we put an ikonos image of southern cologne into umn (v4.0/4.25/4.4) and
had no problems - we
converted it with IrfanView (running per wine under my mandrake ;-)) and
still
can see the waterbubbles behind the ships on the Rhine.

Greetings from Bonn,

Till Adams

--

Mit freundlichen Grüssen aus Bonn,

Till Adams

*     AmeiN! ArcGIS Map-Export-2-UMN     *
*      AmeiN! Workshop 11. Mai 2005      *
*        http://www.terrestris.de        *

Dipl. Geogr. Till Adams
terrestris, Paulsen&Adams GbR
Siemensstr. 8 * 53121 Bonn
Tel.: 0228 962 899 52 * Fax.: 0228 962 899 57
info at terrestris.de * www.terrestris.de