MapServer & TIFF 24 bits

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at GMAIL.COM
Tue May 3 12:23:26 EDT 2005

On 5/3/05, Virginie Berre <vberre at gi-paris.com> wrote:
> Hi All !
>
> When I try to visualize a tiff (I've read
> http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/doc44/raster-howto.html ) it doesn't work:
> nothing is rendered...
>
> My TIFF is coded in 24 bits. Is it why it doesn't work? MapServer supports
> only 16 bits TIFF??

Virginie,

Does your mapserver build include GDAL support?  If not,
you can only display 8bit greyscale or pseudocolored TIFFs.
With GDAL support you can also display 24bit TIFFs.

You can determine if you have GDAL support by typing:
 mapserv -v

If it reports INPUT=GDAL then you should be good.  It is also
helpful to include the version information from mapserv in questions
to the list such as this one.  It helps us all answer in terms of
the version and options in your mapserver build.

Best regards,