Projections with ARCINFO Grids

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at GMAIL.COM
Wed May 4 15:26:06 EDT 2005

On 5/4/05, Aaron Racicot <aaronr at ecotrust.org> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I am having issues with displaying some Arc/Info Binary Grid's.  I was hoping that I would not have to explicitly define the projection information for layers that I am dynamically adding to my mapfile since the format they are in has a prj.adf file defining the projection.  I am displaying my main map in lat-lon, but have a couple of rasters that are in different projections (such as UTM zone 10N).  If I explicitly define the projection in the map file things display fine for the layer:

Aaron,

At one time you could put 'PROJECTION "AUTO" END' in your mapfile
to auto-load the projection of a layer from a GDAL file, but I don't think
this works anymore.  It certainly isn't the default.  You can file a bug
on this topic if you like.

In general MapServer seems to like you to have to regenerate your
projection definition even when it could figure it out for you.  This is an
annoying source of errors and confusion.

Best regards,