Whitespaces in GML output of WFS request

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at GMAIL.COM
Wed May 11 13:48:20 EDT 2005

On 5/11/05, Jürgen Link <juergen.link at bgs-ag.de> wrote:
> The GML output of a wfs GetFeature request seems to be pretty-printed
> (look here for example:
> http://www2.dmsolutions.ca/cgi-bin/mswfs_gmap?SERVICE=WFS&VERSION=1.0.0
> &REQUEST=getfeature&TYPENAME=park).
> The element <gml:coordinates> is followed by a line feed, several tabs and
> spaces.
> What is quite convenient for a reader's eye means, that most tools
> (OpenEV_FW, deegreeViewer, Jump ...) run into error when parsing the XML
> document.
>
> Is there any way to switch off pretty printing (most people will not want
> to read XML)?
> Did anybody else work around the problem differently??

Jürgen,

A decent case can be made to support turning off the pretty printing,
but the problem with newlines and tabs inside the <gml:coordinate>
has already been fixed in 4.6 (and perhaps 4.4.2?).  It is a violation
of the specification.

I would add that rather than working on removing the pretty printing
for performance, we would be better off looking at supporting gzipping
of the return results for a much bigger performance gain.

Best regards,