Whitespaces in GML output of WFS request

Paul Ramsey pramsey at REFRACTIONS.NET
Wed May 11 14:27:06 EDT 2005

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> I would add that rather than working on removing the pretty printing
> for performance, we would be better off looking at supporting gzipping
> of the return results for a much bigger performance gain.

This should be a function of your HTTP server:

LoadModule deflate_module modules/mod_deflate.so

<IfModule mod_deflate.c>

  DeflateCompressionLevel 9
  DeflateMemLevel 9
  DeflateBufferSize 16384

  <Location />

  # Insert filter
  SetOutputFilter DEFLATE

  # Netscape 4.x has some problems...
  BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4 gzip-only-text/html

  # Netscape 4.06-4.08 have some more problems
  BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4\.0[678] no-gzip

  # MSIE masquerades as Netscape, but it is fine
  BrowserMatch \bMSIE !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html

  # Don't compress images
  SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI \
   \.(?:gif|jpe?g|msi|jar|bz2|exe|png|pdf|zip|gz)$ no-gzip dont-vary

  # Make sure proxies don't deliver the wrong content
  Header append Vary User-Agent env=!dont-vary

  </Location>

</IfModule>