Maps for Italy

Udo udo.mapserver at NOVA-SYS.NET
Fri May 20 05:31:55 EDT 2005

Hello everybody. I'm new to this list and have a question I could not
find an anser in the list archives for.

For a Intranet vehicle tracking system (using GPS) I need to display
digital maps. As MapServer is OpenSource, supports many data formats
and even Flash (we're using Macromedia Flash a lot for web
applications) we'd like to use it for this project. However, I am
completely new to the area of GIS/digital maps and have difficulties
finding a source for data maps. They may be commercial if the price is
reasonable.

I tried to contact TeleAtlas, Navteq and others but these companies
seem to be targeted on much larger customers/companies.

So, can anybody give me some advice how to find a MapServer-friendly
source for maps? Right now we would need North Italy but later it
could be we need also maps for Austria, Germany, Switzerland...

Best would be vector maps as our goal is a hugh quality flash
application with vector rendering (but that is not a must).

Many thanks for any replies!
Udo