Maps for Italy

Martin Weinelt mweinelt at PLANIGLOBE.COM
Fri May 20 06:52:12 EDT 2005

On Friday 20 May 2005 11:31, Udo wrote:
> Hello everybody. I'm new to this list and have a question I could not
> find an anser in the list archives for.
>
> For a Intranet vehicle tracking system (using GPS) I need to display
> digital maps. As MapServer is OpenSource, supports many data formats
> and even Flash (we're using Macromedia Flash a lot for web
> applications) we'd like to use it for this project. However, I am
> completely new to the area of GIS/digital maps and have difficulties
> finding a source for data maps. They may be commercial if the price is
> reasonable.
>
> I tried to contact TeleAtlas, Navteq and others but these companies
> seem to be targeted on much larger customers/companies.
>
> So, can anybody give me some advice how to find a MapServer-friendly
> source for maps? Right now we would need North Italy but later it
> could be we need also maps for Austria, Germany, Switzerland...
>
> Best would be vector maps as our goal is a hugh quality flash
> application with vector rendering (but that is not a must).
>
> Many thanks for any replies!
> Udo

Hi Udo,

as you need the maps/data for a vehicle tracking system I guess
your main concern are street data . A rival to the companies you
mention are national (may be EU )  mapping or cartographic
agencies.

Here in Germany the price for the data depend on the nominal
scale and the area covered. So it may depend on the level of detail
you want to use and the 'map extent' how much the data cost.

One basis of the success of  TeleAtlas, Navteq, etc is that they provide
a one-stop-shop and seamless coverage. Something you would expect
from the EU administration as well (for EU countries). There is an outfit
called 'eurogeographics' (www.eurogeographics.org) who offer
maps (data) . Click the 'products' tab. The highest resolution I see is
1:250000 and I do not see Italy participating in their data pool.

Even these data come at an prohibitive price level.

Their page on members may be useful to find the respective national
agency you want to contact.

HTH, Martin