Chloropleth maps with Mapserver

Sun Oct 2 20:39:50 EDT 2005

Jason Pickering wrote:
> Hi Bill,
> Well, the end maps are more or less the same. I think the best
> examples of what I would like to do can be found at the KIDS website.
>
> http://kids.fao.org and then under "Application Examples".
> Another good example is at
> http://www.fao.org/landandwater/agll/agromaps/interactive/index.jsp
>
> I am not starting with individual points (well, maybe but the data has
> already been aggregated).
>
> The question for me is whether it would be easier to modify KIDS (also
> open source) or Mapserver to accomplish what I would like to be done.
> I agree, that it seems that it in principle should be able to be
> accomplished with Mapscript. It seems less obvious to me how to
> implement this functionality in KIDS, as it doesn't have the same sort
> of scripting support as Mapserver. I agree that there may be a way to
> do it, but I thought if someone has proven that it can be done, it
> would be good to start there instead of coding from scratch.

Yes it can be done. I've done it without mapscript
http://imaptools.com/~woodbri/thematic/thematic.cgi?name=ThemeMap&cmd=Map&debug=&location=MA&method=kmeans&numclasses=10&demographic=DP40063
It would be better with the COLORRAMP support or if I played a little
more with mapscript or the mapfile.

I does require using postGIS.

-Steve W.