floating point grass rasters and mapserver

William Kyngesburye woklist at KYNGCHAOS.COM
Tue Oct 11 10:18:06 EDT 2005

I thought I heard that you could use a grass image group in
mapserver.  Have 3 bands in the group with 0-255 each for RGB.  Never
got around to trying it.  Since MapServer doesn't doesn't use the
GRASS color info, I guess it would only work for image-type data
directly, you would have to manually transform something like
elevation data into 3 bands.

On Oct 11, 2005, at 3:23 AM, Jachym Cepicky wrote:

> hi,
>
> I had that feeling, that mapserver is able to display *only* maps with
> <= 255 values..
>
> I thing, there is no other way, than to double the maps :-/
>
> Jachym
>
> On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 09:18:40AM +0200, Andrea Antonello wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>> I trying to visualize grass rasters with mapserver.
>>
>> What I get are nice maps, but those that are floating point and
>> numbers > 255
>> are visualized in one single color, usually yellow, which probably
>> only means
>> that the image is rendered at low resolution level.
>>
>> I read the documentation about rasters more than once, but I seem
>> to miss a
>> point.
>>
>> I use png24.
>>
>> If I normalize the map (i.e. map*maxvalue/255), it shows up
>> correctly, but I
>> don't want to double the maps and also I want to see changes on
>> the grass
>> location.
>>
>> Any hint is appreciated.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Andrea

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Those people who most want to rule people are, ipso-facto, those
least suited to do it."

- A rule of the universe, from the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy