google maps projection

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Wed Oct 12 16:17:39 EDT 2005

John -

All you have to do is make all your polygons appear to be the wrong
size.  And get rid of the scalebars, of course; you can replace them
with rhumb lines for all the compass navigators out there <g>.

I'd suggest the following...

    proj=merc
    lat_ts=0.0
    lon_0=-90.0
    x_0=0.0
    y_0=0.0
    ellps=GRS80
    units=m
    no_defs

Although I haven't tested that projection myself, as I still prefer
Brazil to look larger than Greenland.  The uncommon "lat_ts" parameter
is the latitude of "true scale" - i.e. the only spot on the map that's
accurate...

For more details check the PROJ page at
http://www.remotesensing.org/geotiff/proj_list/mercator_1sp.html but
that should get you off to a good start.

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.