Performance Difference between 3.6. and 4.6

Steve Young steve at SIERRACLUB.BC.CA
Wed Oct 12 17:28:00 EDT 2005

Hi,

This is a repost from a couple of weeks ago. I could still do with some
advice/info so rephrasing.

Can anyone tell me if I should expect a decrease in speed of image
rendering moving from version 3.6 to 4.6? Currently when displaying
tileindexed layer of approximately 200 shapefiles I get a big
performance hit. With 3.6 images are drawn in 2s or less, with 4.6 its
4s or more depending on the number of arcs being displayed. Both
datasets have been shptree'd and sortshp'd using their associated
executables. There are hardware differences, they both have 256Mb RAM
otherwise the 4.6 machine has a faster CPU and HD. 3.6 machine is
running on RH Linux 7 Apache 1.3. 4.6 machine is running Suse 9.1,
Apache2

Should I expect any performance differences between Apache 1.3 and 2?
I've tried compiling 3.6.1 to run on the same machine as 4.6 version,
but I'm getting an "undefined reference to `__gxx_personality_v0'" error
message on make. Looks to be something to do with gcc and g++, but I
haven't been able to find a solution. I'm not convinced I'm on the right
path, so any advice the list can give is appreciated.

Steve