GRASS gdal and mapserver

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Thu Oct 13 10:48:12 EDT 2005

On 10/12/05, Francisco Alonso <alonsarp at um.es> wrote:
> but when I try to read the mapfile I have problems with the soils GRASS raster
> file:
>
> # ./shp2img -m mapserver.map -o map.png
> msDrawMap(): Image handling error. Failed to draw layer named 'soils'. <br>
> msDrawRaster(): Image handling error. Unrecognized or unsupported image format
> drawEPP(): Image handling error.
> /var/www/grass5_mapserver/spearfish60/PERMANENT/cellhd/soils is not an EPPL
> file. <br>

Paco,

You didn't show your layer definition in your mapfile, but it
would appear that shp2img isn't getting the GRASS plugin or
isn't even using the same version of libgdal.so as gdalinfo.

I would suggest:
 o Use "ldd" to determine which versions of the libgdal.so are being
    used by shp2img and gdalinfo.

 o Set CPL_DEBUG=ON in your environment to see if there are messages
    from shp2img about loading the grass plugin.

> On the other hand I can not read GRASS vector files with OGR
>
> # ogrinfo /var/www/grass5_mapserver/spearfish60/PERMANENT/vector/streams/head
> Warning 1: GRASS warning: GISBASE enviroment variable was not set, using:
> /usr/local/grass-6.0.1
> ogrinfo: relocation error: /usr/local/lib/gdalplugins/ogr_GRASS.so: undefined
> symbol: Vect_set_fatal_error
>
> I think here the problem is that I did some mistake with the gdal-grass
> package

Likely reasons for this are that your GRASS is a bit old or that
your GDAL is a bit old.  What versions of GRASS and GDAL are
you using?  The vector driver is very new and may have some poorly
understood dependencies.

Best regards,