WMS extent problems

Andrew Smith killersmython at BIGPOND.COM
Thu Oct 13 02:50:14 EDT 2005

Hello List,
    I have been working with mapserver for a little while now.  I
currently have a Linux FC4 box with mapserv 4.6 connecting to a
Postgres(8.0.1)/PostGIS(1.0) backend.  I have had no trouble
implementing all the componets, and I am even having success with
implementing a HTTP front end and am enjoying the experience.  The only
issue I have had, and have neglected up until now, is the problem of
extents concerning the dataset described in the mapfile.  I have checked
the projection (AMG zone 56) using ArcGIS to make sure that I have the
correct epsg projection (epsg=20256), and it seems right.  So where can
I go from here.  I have attached a screen shot of a MapInfo connection
to my WMS, and the corresponding mapfile.  Any suggestions, websites etc
will be much appreciated.

I have searched the archives of this list, and have found similar
issues, though no solution has been posted.  So in the spirit of this
online community, i will post a complete solution when one is obtained,
including links to resources that helped.

Thanks in advance

Andrew Smith
Masters Candidate
University of Wollongong

/********************************************
MAPFILE

NAME "WMS_TEST"
STATUS ON
UNITS METERS
EXTENT 287899 6156549 304702 6171738

    WEB
       IMAGEPATH "..."
       IMAGEURL "..."
       LOG "..."
    METADATA
       "wms_title" "WMS TEST BOX"
       "wms_onlineresource" "http://..."
       "wms_srs" "EPSG:20256"
    END

    PROJECTION
       "init=epsg:20256"
    END

    LAYER
       NAME Minamurra_Boundary
       METADATA
          "wms_title"   "Minamurra Boundary"
          "wms_abstract" "This dataset describes the boundary of the
Minamurra River Area"
       END

        PROJECTION
           "init=epsg:20256"
        END

        CONNECTIONTYPE postgis
        DATA "the_geom from coast"

        STATUS ON
        TYPE POLYGON

        CLASS
           OUTLINECOLOUR 0 0 0
           COLOR 3 190 0
        END
    END
END

Find attached the screen shot of MapInfo WMS Connection