Problem trying to serve large .tif dataset

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Thu Oct 13 19:46:36 EDT 2005

On 10/13/05, Glen Thompson <gthompson at lizardtech.com> wrote:
> When I request the entire bbox for the dataset, the mapserver.exe process
> runs for about 8 minutes and then seems to crash or error out or
> something.  I don't know nor can't find any logfiles to see what is
> happening.

Glenn,

I'm not sure why it is failing in such an ugly way.  However,
you really don't want mapserver to have to open 2000 TIFF
files to build a single map result.  The normal approach is to
have two layers, one with the tileindexed set of full data.  The
other with a low res overview in one file.  Use MINSCALE and
MAXSCALE to make the low res overview kick in at some point.

There are various techniques to generate the low res overview.

Best regards,