Problem trying to serve large .tif dataset

Bill Binko bill at BINKO.NET
Thu Oct 13 20:36:16 EDT 2005

> On 10/13/05, Glen Thompson <gthompson at lizardtech.com> wrote:
> > When I request the entire bbox for the dataset, the mapserver.exe process
> > runs for about 8 minutes and then seems to crash or error out or
> > something.  I don't know nor can't find any logfiles to see what is
> > happening.
>
> Glenn,
>
> I'm not sure why it is failing in such an ugly way.  However,
> you really don't want mapserver to have to open 2000 TIFF
> files to build a single map result.  The normal approach is to
> have two layers, one with the tileindexed set of full data.  The
> other with a low res overview in one file.  Use MINSCALE and
> MAXSCALE to make the low res overview kick in at some point.
>
> There are various techniques to generate the low res overview.

Also, as Frank and I just realized, there can be a significant penalty for
having the raster LAYER projection different from the MAP projection.
Recent (last night) changes improve this, but are not in any released
mapserver versions.  So, if possible make your raster projection your
output projection.

Bill