Problem trying to serve large .tif dataset

Dirk Tilger dirk at ADVTECHME.COM
Fri Oct 14 06:11:08 EDT 2005

On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 05:58:47PM -0500, Glen Thompson wrote:
> When I request the entire bbox for the dataset, the mapserver.exe process
> runs for about 8 minutes and then seems to crash or error out or
> something.  I don't know nor can't find any logfiles to see what is
> happening.
>
> Has anyone had any success dealing with datasets of this size?  If so, how
> have you implemented them?

We have been having a similar problem. We used PHP/Mapscript to deal
with TIFF images. Both for the generation as well as for the reading
we sometimes hit PHP's maximum-execution time. The maximum configured
value is 2 minutes, but since most proper renderings are done after a
few seconds rendering time this huge ammount does not appear resonable.

We suspect a bug in either mapserver or one of the associated libraries,
but we haven't hunted it down yet.  Our temporary workaround has been to
convert the TIFF images to georeferenced PNGs and then using these.

Dirk Tilger
Advanced Technologies ME FZ LLC
Tel +971 4 367 1071
Fax +971 4 367 2529