wms_attribution element for LAYER's

Kralidis,Tom [Burlington] Tom.Kralidis at EC.GC.CA
Fri Oct 21 09:18:38 EDT 2005

> Dear all,
> While setting up WMS/WCS/WFS services we noticed that the
> attribution
> URL and related information can be used at the MAP level METADATA,
> but not at the LAYER level METADATA. We would very much like to see
> that information appear at the layer level to ensure we properly
> acknowledge data providers (the icon and URL are used to display an
> attribution logo next to each layer when the information is
> present. Would it be possible to also have these elements
> reflected at LAYER
> level?
>
> Here's what we use:
>
>                          "wms_attribution_onlineresource"
> "http://www.fao.org/"
>
> "wms_attribution_title"                          "Data from the Food
> and Agriculture Organization (FAO)"
>                          "wms_attribution_logourl_width"
> "20"
>                          "wms_attribution_logourl_height"         "20"
>                          "wms_attribution_logourl_format"
> "image/png"
>                          "wms_attribution_logourl_href"
> "http://www.fao.org/geonetwork/images/FAO_very_small.jpg"

This would be a good idea.  The attribution stuff applies currently only
to the root Layer element in Capabilities XML.  Doing it at the layer
level shouldn't be too hard (i.e. calling msWMSPrintAttribution in
mapwms.c).  Infact, I just tried this:

1./

Insert in mapwms.c, line 1361:

msWMSPrintAttribution(stdout, "    ", &(lp->metadata), "MO");

2./

Add the wms_attribution_* metadata at the LAYER/METADATA level.

..and it works as expected.

Jeroen: perhaps you can file an enhancement to bugzilla?  Or is this
minor enough for one of the developers to commit?  Note that we would
also

..Tom