Speed difference between 3.6.1 and 4.6.0

Lowell Filak lfilak at MEDINACO.ORG
Fri Oct 21 12:40:44 EDT 2005

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 18:47:26 -0700, Hal Mueller <halmueller at GMAIL.COM> wrote:

>I just (rather involuntarily) was "upgraded" from Apache 1.3 to 2.0
>(no hardware changes).  Had to reinstall Mapserver, and upgraded that
>from 4.4 to 4.6.  I have seen performance plummet.  A setup that was
>easily moving 1 GB/day is now struggling to move 150 MB/day.
>
>Am still investigating, but Apache 2.0'/PHP interface is my prime suspect.
>
>Hal
>
>On 10/5/05, Steve Young <steve at sierraclub.bc.ca> wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I have two mapserver sites running. One on Mapserver 3.6.1 and the other
>> on 4.6.0
>>
>> The 3.6 site is on a Duron 750 with 256Mb RAM and an IDE drive.
>> Webserver is Apache 1.3x
>> The 4.6 site is on a Celeron 1.7GHz with 256Mb RAM and a similar IDE
>> drive. Webserver is Apache 2
>> My issue is the 3.6 site is at least twice as fast at creating a map
>> image as the 4.6 site.

Hal,

Have you tried running just the mapserv executable without PHPMapscript?
Is the mapserv cgi still that much slower than the previous version? If so
it's not PHP slowing it down.
We are running Apache 2 but are unable to comment on the PHP end.

Lowell