Static compilation of Mapserver?

Paul Ramsey pramsey at REFRACTIONS.NET
Tue Oct 25 11:35:36 EDT 2005

I have done this, making a large number of the dependencies static
(freetype, gd, proj, gdal) but it was not fun and it took a lot of
work editing makefiles.  There is no easy way to do it, and you have
to make sure that every library you do not expect to find on the
target system is included.  This can be extra fun with things like
freetype, that are not a direct mapserver dependency, but rather a
dependency of a dependency.

Some things (like zlib) are sufficiently standard that you can often
assume they will be available dynamically.