MS WFS "Chaining"

Chris Tweedie chris at NARX.NET
Mon Oct 31 21:20:04 EST 2005

Morning list,

A current work in progress requires extensive use of mapserver's WMS service
chaining. My question is that as far as i can tell, there is no way to do a
similar method using remote WFS services.

To clarify, i am not after MS as a WFS Client (eg. render the WFS response as an
image) but simply forward the response on to the client. For example,

1. Client (WFS Request) --> Core Mapserver (Forward request) --> Remote
Mapserver

2. Remote Mapserver (GML Response) --> Core Mapserver (Forward request) -->
Client

I hope mapserver could be enabled as a sort of pseudo OWS "proxy" but I have had
a look around without much success,

Ideally, if there was a new meta tag such as

"wfs_response_method"    "GML"

or something similar attached to the layer, then this would suit my purpose
exactly. Since the response is currently stored as a GML file in the ms_tmp
directory anyway, it seems a simple manner of just forwarding on the request
instead of rendering it using GDAL/OGR.

Any feedback would be appreciated,

Chris Tweedie