Increase Clarity of WMS

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Mon Apr 3 10:48:37 EDT 2006

Kyle -

Well, if you increase the WIDTH and HEIGHT to 512 it will certainly look
better - and larger!

You are taking a relatively large image and asking MapServer to shrink
it down for you for display.  I haven't time to decipher all the
JavaScript in there, but I suspect your "simply chopping up tiles using
ImageMagick" example is actually generating HTML that tells the client
browser to stuff an oversized PNG into a smaller IMG tag.  Your
individual image tiles (from the floorplans/tiles/ directory) are
actually much larger images than your
http://maps.kylemulka.com/imagemagick/livedude.php displays.  Each
individual tile is 512x512 pixels, but your final output image is much
smaller than that.

As a result, the quality of the output image may depend heavily on the
browser being used.  I think those 512x512 tiles are being displayed in
IMG tags with HEIGHT and WIDTH properties set to a smaller value.  The
browser then squishes the images into the IMG space available.

The image you're using is almost a worst-case scenario for MapServer.
It's essentially a vector drawing that's been scanned as a raster image.
You've got lots of thin lines that easily appear and disappear at
different scale levels, depending on how the image is resampled.

If you're going to use scanned line art in MapServer, you'll get the
best results by producing high-quality resampled versions (ImageMagick
is fine) at each specific scale/zoom level you'll want to use.  Then
force the user to only use one of your preselected zoom levels.  Make
sure that each image - when displayed - ends up exactly the same size as
the original image on your server.

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker