plotting data points from spread sheet

Richard Noyes richard.noyes at COLORADO.EDU
Mon Apr 3 16:16:16 EDT 2006

New user here with a VERY basic question.  I am learning mapserver and
openev using O'Reilly text "Web Mapping Illustrated".  I have an excel
spread sheet with long/lat point data with various biological attributes
that I would like to map.  Is there a simple protocol for importing this
type of data for viewing it on a map?  It is likely that I have overlooked
or am not understanding something basic, so any assistance would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick

Richard D. Noyes