Increase Clarity of WMS

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Tue Apr 4 08:40:44 EDT 2006

Kyle -

I was looking at images like this one:

http://maps.kylemulka.com/imagemagick/floorplans/tiles/dude-1-1-5.png

The image itself is indeed 256x256, but your MapServer WMS request is
asking for a source area much larger than 256x256 to be rendered into a
256x256 image.  The image quality degradation is coming from asking
MapServer to resample the source images to a lower output resolution.
You can get better quality resampling by using a (slower) tool to
preprocess the images.

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.
73 Princeton Street, Suite 305
North Chelmsford, MA  01863
Phone: +1 (978) 251-4242
Fax: +1 (978) 251-1396
ed at topozone.com

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of Kyle Mulka
Sent: Tuesday, April 04, 2006 2:09 AM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Increase Clarity of WMS

I'm pretty sure that all the tile images are in fact 256x256 and are
being rended that way by the browser. Do have a specific example of one
that's not like? Either generated by the javascript, or a tile in that
folder? Tools->Page Info->Media in Firefox will tell you what images are
currently loaded, including those loaded dynamically with javascript.

I'm thinking that I might have to use Google Maps itself to do
georeferencing. That way I can limit, or even eliminate the amount of
scaling and resampling that mapserver has to do. I'll give it a try next
week when I have some time. If someone has already done some
georeferencing with Google Maps and mapsever, let me know.

Thanks,

-Kyle