Increase Clarity of WMS

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Tue Apr 4 14:07:45 EDT 2006

Kyle -

There are more image resampling techniques in the world than are
supported by MapServer.  Resampling the image beforehand gives you the
option of choosing the tools and the techniques that work best for your
image.  If you minimize the amount of resampling MapServer needs to do,
you will both improve the performance of your application and improve
the quality of the output images.

Yes, you should do it for each zoom level and either create image
overviews (using gdaladdo) or minscale/maxscale within a GROUP.  No, you
don't have to be perfect - just get close.  Here's an example.  This
view is a random USGS 1:24,000 scale topo map displayed at full source
resolution (what we call "1:24,000" scale, even though it isn't):

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=36.93333&lon=-81.96556&size=l&s=24

There's no resampling going on.  If you switch the View Scale to
1:25,000 you'll get this:

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=36.93333&lon=-81.96556&size=l&s=25

That's the same image at 96% (24,000/25,000) of the original size.  That
is, every 25th row and column of the image is omitted.  You can see some
image degradation (look carefully at the dashed double purple lines left
of center) but it's quite minor.  If you're unlucky, single-pixel-wide
horizontal and vertical lines can disappear entirely.

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.