Geodatabase tables

Steve Pashby s.pashby at POSTGRAD.CURTIN.EDU.AU
Wed Apr 5 03:00:56 EDT 2006

Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam <at> POBOX.COM> writes:

> Steve Pashby wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm trying to render a road map using a personal geodatabase and have some
> > event tables (or am going to ... when i get round to it !) However, i'm
not
> > entirely sure how you reference the tables in the mapfile.
> >
> > I know in the LAYER definition you would put ...
> > CONNECTIONTYPE ogr
> > CONNECTION "path/to/the/geodatabase, feature_class"
> > But how would you render whats in a specific table ?  (ie, I'm trying to
show
> > the location of poor road surfaces in a table called
Poor_surface_condition)

> > Has someone else done this before and if so could you please post some of
your
> > code so i can see what to do.
>
> Steve,
>
> I would encourage you to use instead:
>
> CONNECTIONTYPE ogr
> CONNECTION "path/to/the/geodatabase"
> DATA "feature_class"
>
> I'm not sure how Daniel or others feel about it, but I like to think of the
> syntax where the table/layer name is put into the CONNECTION string as
> deprecated in favor of the above format.
>
> Addressing your actual question, I'm not sure why you seem to be
> distinguishing between "feature_class", "layer", and "table".  OGR will
> use the names of spatial tables (tables with a Shape column) as layers.
>
> I have a vague sense there is a distinct thing called a feature class in
> the personal geodatabase, but OGR ignores this concept entirely (assuming the
> concept exists).
>
> Best regards,
Thanks very much for the reply Frank.  However, my tables are not specifically
spatial tables (holding x,y coords), but rather they have a unique field
(Route_ID) that is a link to a shapefile (containing road centre-line data)
and each road has its own unique Route-ID. This is (i think) what links the
two together.

Anyway, maybe i am looking to much into it and OGR will do all the work !

Cheers,
Steve.