Dimensional Modeling / Data Warehouse Approach to GIS data?

Bill Binko bill at BINKO.NET
Fri Apr 7 02:07:27 EDT 2006

Hi everyone,

I'm curious as to whether anyone's using classic Data Warehousing
database methods with GIS data?  In particular, I'd like to see some
literature (case studies, research) showing:

o How to integrate GIS data into an existing Data Mart/Warehouse
o A comparison of classic Relational Modeling (OLTP-style) versus
Dimensional Modeling (OLAP-style) when applied to GIS databases.  (I'm
interested in Performance and/or Management issues)
o Common patterns and approaches seen when attempting this type of work.

The reason is that I am using my GIS data for classic Decision Support
work.  In my other life, I use a corporate Data Warehouse for this type
of work, and I know that the Dimensional approach provides excellent
queryability and scalability at the cost of expensive updates and high
maintenance.

Because my GIS data has such a high read/write ratio and I'm always
looking for different ways to slice it, I'm tempted to approach it via a
dimensional approach.  However, I'd like to hear from anyone who's
traveled this path.

Thanks
Bill

--