Increase Clarity of WMS

Gary Watry watry at COAPS.FSU.EDU
Mon Apr 10 08:30:04 EDT 2006

E-Mail: watry at coaps.fsu.edu

From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at lists.umn.edu] On
Behalf Of Clint Johnson
Sent: Friday, April 07, 2006 7:34 PM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at lists.umn.edu
Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Increase Clarity of WMS

Kyle,

Your error is due to the line that says
  PROCESSING "RESAMPLE=AVERAGE"

If you want a quality image then by all means do NOT use average dithering.
example of average dithering
http://www.visgraf.impa.br/Courses/ip00/proj/Dithering1/average_dithering.ht
ml

Use one of:

PROCESSING "RESAMPLE=BILINEAR"
PROCESSING "RESAMPLE=BICUBIC" # preferable

Stay away from nearest and average.

Without having to go into Digital processing 101, using nearest or
average will cause your image to "chunk" when it is re-sampled (ie
zoomed in or out); whereas, bilinear and bicublic will give it a nice
"anti-aliased" look as you zoom in.

Cheers,
Clint

--
Clint Johnson
Refractions Research Inc.
Cjohnson at refractions.net

Kyle Mulka wrote:
> Here's one of the WMS tiles I'm using. I've tried stretching it using
> different values for the height and width but nothing I've tried has
> made it look better or worse.

http://kylemulka.com/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=floorplans.map&REQUEST=GetMap&SERVI
CE=WMS&VERSION=1.1.1&LAYERS=dude-1&STYLES=&BGCOLOR=0xFFFFFF&TRANSPARENT=TRUE
&SRS=EPSG:4326&BBOX=-83.7158203125,42.2905166207974,-83.71444702148438,42.29
1532494305976&WIDTH=256&HEIGHT=256