Wrapping map extents

Neil Saunders n.j.saunders at GMAIL.COM
Tue Apr 11 05:37:17 EDT 2006

Hello all,

Could somebody offer some advice regarding mercator projections.. the
problem I have is the projection of the globe. The far east of Russia
and the far west of America both 'wrap around' to the other side of
the globe, which is causing me problems in the way I'm trying to
visualise things. Looking at Google Maps, they seem to have altered
the east and west extents of the map to allow for these (and the
Oceania islands). I was hoping I might achieve the same thing. Is
there some way of altering the projection to do this? I've seen this
on standard atlases before so I'm assuming its a fairly common thing
but I can't find anything on the web about it in mapserver.

Thanks for reading and any help you have,

Neil.