ogr please help

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Thu Apr 13 08:48:45 EDT 2006

Skalski Artur - askals wrote:

> I keep trying but no results...
>
> still can't figure out how to use ogr2ogr correctly to make index or
> spatial index on my shapefile, can someone help me please
>
> I'm trying to create index with this statement:
>
> ogr2ogr -f "ESRI Shapefile" streets.shp streets_plyline.shp -sql CREATE
> INDEX index ON streets USING (CITY_STREET)
>
> but this generates error1..
>
> can someone point me how such command should look like correctly, how to
> make this index on shp. file

Artur,

If you just want to create an index on a file, use ogrinfo with the -sql
statement.

eg.
ogrinfo streets.shp -sql "CREATE SPATIAL INDEX index ON streets"

You might want to skim the Shapefile page for details.

   http://www.gdal.org/ogr/drv_shapefile.html

Note that the quotes are important.  The whole SQL statement has to be
treated as a single argument to the program.

Best regards,