MapServer plugins howto help?

William Kyngesburye woklist at KYNGCHAOS.COM
Thu Apr 13 13:39:36 EDT 2006

I thought I could wait until the plugin architecture for MS 4.8 was
documented, but I ran into a snag and it looks like I need to figure
this out.

can build with Oracle support, but not include the libraries in the
package and users don't have to download and install the OCI
libraries if they don't need it, and MS will still run if Oracle is
never used.  The library loader only tries to load weak-links when
needed.

Problem: Python ignores this somehow, and tries to load all symbols
anyways when mapscript is imported.

So, I want to build the Oracle support to MapServer as a plugin.  I'm
not creating a new data source, just changing one to a plugin.  The
RFC wasn't any help for the build process, but there was something
about adding a call to a plugin function (depending on how
complicated/messy that can get patching the code, I might be able to
handle that).

Going by the GRASS-GDAL plugin as an example, for the build process,
I could probably figure out the build side of things.  Something
like: make the object file, include headers from mapserver similar to
what's used in the MS makefile for the format; link the object file
into a library, with the libmap.a and necessary libs for the format.
Or would libmap be needed, since that'll be available in the MS
binary at runtime (I would have to link with some 'undefined' options
to deal with that)?

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"History is an illusion caused by the passage of time, and time is an
illusion caused by the passage of history."

- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy