I just need to get started! Please, help me with some tips!

Steve Pashby s.pashby at POSTGRAD.CURTIN.EDU.AU
Sat Apr 15 18:48:04 EDT 2006

Steven De Vriendt <gisaalter <at> GMAIL.COM> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Hi,
>
> If you're a beginner I can advise you this book by Tyler Mitchell
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0596008651/qid=1145100799/sr=1-
3/ref=sr_1_3/104-2997351-0606345?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

> It covers a lot of the basics to MapServer, like you I'm quite new to
MapServer etc...but I've learned quite a lot from this book.

> Good luck !
>
> On 4/15/06, Catalin G. <catalin_gn <at> yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Hi, I really need to learn how to implement mapserver technology on a site,
but I could use some tips for the begining. I installed ms4w on my computer so
now I have mapserver installed and chamelon too. The problem is when I tried
to add the demo files in my mapserver directory structure.
> I added the files from DEMO here: E:/ms4w/Apache/htdocs/itasca. I launched
in my browser the next link:
> http://localhost/itasca/demo_init.html. Now I should update the file
demo.map and demo_init.html in order to make this to work. Here is the
problem, cause I don't think I do it corectly. <form method=GET action="/cgi-
bin/mapserv">
> <input type="hidden" name="map"
value="/ms4w/apache/htdocs/itasca/demo.map">What is the correct URL? And a
second problem. Can you guide to some basics of mapserver? I look on the site,
but I didn't found some step to stept explanations.
> Thanks a lot!
>
> Catalin G.
Hi Catalin,

I found the book "Beginning MapServer, Open Source GIS Development" by BILL
KROPLA extremely useful and has helped me a lot ! It takes you through the
very basics of MapServer and explains what all the code is and what it does.

Also, in your code <form method=GET action="/cgi-bin/mapserv"> try adding .exe
to the end of mapserv (ie, <form method=GET action="/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe">) as
i had similar problems when i started out, and all it took was to add
the ".exe".

Cheers,
Steve